JLG would like high school students to put their creativity in action by developing a book trailer that will be intriguing and exciting to viewers. Students should create a video book trailer for one of JLG’s recent high school selections. Use special effects, animation, music, etc. to engage the viewers and make them want to read the book. Students 13 years of age or older in grades 9 through 12 are permitted to submit entries for the contest.
Please follow the requirements and guidelines
Your Book Trailer Should
- Engage and excite readers
- Last no longer than 2 minutes
- Include the book’s title and author
Your Book Trailer Should Not
- Alter the book’s scenes or dialogue
- Misrepresent the book in genre
- Use video, music, or images that you do not have the right to use. There are many resources for royalty free material online
What Makes a Great Book Trailer
To help guide you, we ask some JLG staff what makes a book trailer great.
How to Enter
- Post the video on YouTube using the tag: #JLGTrailer16
- Submit the YouTube link to your book trailer along with your name, age, contact information (either a phone number or email) and your school’s name and full address and librarian’s name to: email@example.com
- Post videos between Monday, February 22, 2016 and Thursday, March 31, 2016
In a video, no longer than 2 minutes, you must
- Choose only one book from the list provided and create an engaging trailer to excite potential readers about the book.
- Display the book’s title and author as text on screen at least once during your video.
- Meet all official rules and requirements.
- The video’s creator must be 13 or over.
- Entrants who are minors must obtain a parent’s or guardian’s consent to enter the contest. Please download this release form and have it signed by a parent or guardian.
- You must use appropriate language and content.
- You must properly clear and credit any source film clips, images, or locations you use. To verify winning entries, participants will be asked to submit proof of this.
- You can only submit one entry.
Please carefully read the complete rules listed in the Contest Terms.
- February 22, 2016: Contest opens
- March 31, 2016: Last day to submit your video (by 11:59 pm EST)
- April 6, 2016: Finalists (5) are announced
- On or around April 27, 2015: Winners are announced
Finalist and Winner Judging Criteria:
Five finalists will be chosen from all the entries. All book trailer videos will be evaluated based on the following criteria, weighed equally
- Creativity and innovation: Your video presents the book in an intriguing and artistic way. We want to read the book after watching your book trailer!
- Quality of video production: Your video has high resolution and audio quality and demonstrates good production skills.
- Appropriate content: Your video does not contain indecent, obscene, hateful, defamatory, or offensive material
In the event of a tie, the tie will be broken on the basis of creativity and innovation scores.
The five finalists will be voted on by librarians around the country to choose first, second and third place winners.
- First Place Winner
School will receive 3 free JLG Categories for one year (36 newly-published books.) Student will receive trophy and $150 iTunes card.
- Second Place Winner
School will receive 2 free JLG Categories for one year (24 newly-published books.) Student will receive trophy and $75 iTunes card.
- Third Place Winner
School will receive 1 free JLG Category for one year (12 newly-published books.). Student will receive trophy and $50 iTunes card.
All winners and their book trailers will be featured in the JLG Monthly enewsletter as well as announced through social media channels.
All entries deemed appropriate will be posted on the book detail pages of the juniorlibraryguild.com Website.
To view the list online, click here.